Monday, January 30, 2012

The ever creative omelets

They are something REALLY simple to make. I love omelets. They're also really versatile in that you can stuff whatever you want in it, vegetables, cheese, smoked meats... They can deliver a ton of flavor too, depending on how you season your omelets. Plus, you can make it as you want it. My mother was the first person who taught me how to make omelets. I got more practice because my cousins like omelets and I was the one in charge of making them.

Below is a recipe for smoked salmon omelets. The idea came from bagel and lox. I'm not sure really what happened when I created this, but I think I wanted to do something with my smoked salmon and I wanted something spicy and sweet and still be something savory at the same time.



Smoked salmon omelet

Ingredients:
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tbs crumbled hot smoked salmon OR 2 slices of cold smoked salmon (hot smoked salmon is better than cold smoked)
1 tbs cream cheese

For the glaze:
1/2 tbs peach preserve or to taste
Habanero pepper sauce (I used Tabasco brand) to taste

Directions:
1. Mix smoked salmon and cream cheese together.
2. In a bowl, whisk egg, salt, pepper, and thyme. Mix evenly.
3. Preheat a good non-stick frying pan on high and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Fry egg and swirl in a pan to the desired measurement of your omelets, then reduce heat to medium.
5. When the egg is almost all cooked (while it's still half-way liquid), crumble the smoked salmon/cream cheese mixture evenly on half of the egg.
6. Very gently, fold the egg into 2 and press firmly to seal the edges.
7. Cook for another 1 - 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
8. In a bowl, mix 1/2 tsb peach preserve and habanero pepper sauce to taste.
9. Right after the omelet is cooked, place on a plate and glaze with peach/tabasco mixture.


Notes:
1. You can skip adding salt to the egg, the smoked salmon and cheese are salty enough.
2. You can use whatever cheese you want, so long as it goes well with salmon. I use cream cheese as a homage to lox and bagel.
3. As usual, feel free to add onions/green peppers/mushrooms, etc.
4. Skip the glaze, if you want. I just prefer it with the glaze as more of a flavor play.
5. The egg mixture recipe is basic recipe for any omelets. You can substitute the filling with ham, sausage, or merely cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment