Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cream of mushroom soup

I created this recipe because I like making things from scratch. One of the things I like is green bean casserole. And I know some of you may think that green bean casserole is something "gross", but it's not so when you make it from scratch. 

So here's my recipe for cream of mushroom soup. I know that it's quite a significant amount of butter, but this recipe will yield about 2.5 quarts of the soup and it's in form of a soup stock (similar to condensed soup), which you can then thin more.

Despite the name, Elsa doesn't eat this. But she's my partner in the kitchen. I work the counter, she works the floor nibbling on carrots, green pepper, and tomatoes...


Rie and Elsa's cream of mushroom soup

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 pint heavy cream
24 oz. mushroom, chopped
3 cups milk
4 bouillon cubes
salt, pepper to taste

Direction:
1. Melt the butter in a big pot (about the size of a pasta boiling pot).
2. Saute the mushroom until it's cooked and add flour (this step is similar to making roux).
3. Add heavy cream and milk.
4. Add bouillon cubes, salt, and pepper.
5. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.

Notes:
1. You may need more than 4 tbs of flour, just add 1 tbs at a time. And if you need more after the first 4 tbs, you'd want to dissolve the flour in warm water (just a small amount), to ensure that the flour won't clump.
2. I use food processor to coarsely chop my mushrooms. If you want to do this, you'd have to work in batches. 
3. To make this vegetarian friendly, skip the bouillon cube. 
4. This freezes well. I made this recipe a month ahead and just thaw it when I want to make green bean casserole.
5. You can eat this soup as is with a side of sourdough bread. 
6. Keep an eye on this soup. Stirring is highly recommended since you don't want the milk sugar to "caramelize" and stick to the bottom of the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment